When it comes to building a gaming PC, choosing the right power supply can be just as important as selecting the right graphics card. And this decision becomes even more crucial when you’re dealing with high-performance GPUs like the GTX 960. While this graphics card doesn’t require a significant amount of power, you still need to ensure that your power supply can handle the load, especially if you plan on overclocking your GPU.
The GTX 960 is a reasonably power-efficient card, with a typical power draw of around 120 watts. However, it’s always a good idea to give yourself some headroom when picking a power supply, especially if you have other power-hungry components in your system. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what power supply requirements you need to consider when choosing a PSU for your GTX 960, and what other factors you should keep in mind when building your system.
What Power Supply Do I Need for GTX 960?
The GTX 960 is a mid-range graphics card that requires a power supply to function. The power supply is responsible for providing the necessary power to the graphics card to run smoothly. Here are some of the key points to consider when selecting a power supply for GTX 960:
• The power supply should have a minimum wattage capacity of 400 watts. This will ensure that there is enough power to meet the demand of the GTX 960 card.
• The power supply should have one 8-pin power connector or two 6-pin power connectors available to provide power to the graphics card.
• It is recommended to use a power supply with an 80 Plus certification. This indicates that the power supply has energy efficiency of at least 80%, which means it will produce less heat and reduce the overall power consumption.
• Modular power supplies are ideal as they allow flexibility in cable management and decrease the number of unused cables in the case.
• It is important to choose a reputable brand that offers quality power supplies. Poor quality power supplies can damage the graphics card as well as the other components of the computer.
Overall, the power supply for GTX 960 should have enough wattage capacity, available power connectors, 80 Plus certification, modular design, and be of a reputable brand.
1. What is the recommended power supply for GTX 960?
The recommended power supply for GTX 960 is at least 400 watts.
2. Can I use a power supply lower than 400 watts for my GTX 960?
It is not recommended to use a lower wattage power supply than 400 watts as it may not give sufficient power to the graphics card.
3. Do I need a specific type of power supply for GTX 960?
You do not need a specific type of power supply for GTX 960, but it should have a sufficient wattage and at least one 6-pin power connector.
4. Is it necessary to have a power supply with 80+ efficiency rating for GTX 960?
While it is not necessary to have a power supply with 80+ efficiency rating, it is recommended as it will be more energy-efficient and less likely to fail.
5. What happens if I use a power supply that is not powerful enough for my GTX 960?
If you use a power supply that is not powerful enough for your GTX 960, your system may experience stability issues, crashes, and the graphics card may not perform optimally. In some cases, it may even cause damage to your components.
In conclusion, it’s important to consider the power supply requirements of your graphics card when building or upgrading your PC. The GTX 960 requires a minimum of 400W power supply with a 6-pin connector. However, it’s always beneficial to use a higher wattage power supply with good efficiency ratings to ensure reliable and stable performance. Remember to also check for compatibility with your other PC components before making a purchase. With the right power supply, you can unleash the full potential of your GTX 960 and enjoy seamless gaming and multimedia experiences.