Do you want to know if your Ethernet cable is working and meets the speeds it’s claiming?
Testing the speed of an Ethernet cable may sound like a tedious task, but with these simple steps, it can be done in seconds.
This article will show you how to test the speed of an Ethernet cable and find out what you need to know about it.
Testing Your Ethernet Cable
How do you know if your Ethernet cable is working? You could go through the process of measuring it by counting how many feet there are in a meter, but that takes time and it’s not accurate.
Fortunately, there is an easier way to test the speed of an Ethernet cable.
To see the speed of your Ethernet cable, use this simple equation: (X/10) * 100 = Mbps.
For example, if your Ethernet cable is 6 feet long, you would input 6 in the X space and 10 in the 10 space. This would give you 66 Mbps as the answer. If your answer is less than what you need it to be, then you may need to buy a new Ethernet cable or run a new wire from your router to your device.
Testing the Cable Speed
When you purchase an Ethernet cable, it’s important to know what your cable’s speed is. This will help you make sure you are buying the correct cable for your application. You can test the cable speed by using a laptop and a terminal application, or by using an Ethernet cable tester.
To test the speed of your Ethernet cable with a laptop and terminal application, follow these steps:
1) Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the laptop.
2) Connect the other end to either an Ethernet port on the laptop or to other equipment that connects to that port.
3) Open a terminal application on your laptop.
4) Enter “speed” into your terminal application’s search bar.
5) Press enter on your keyboard. The result should show how fast your Ethernet connection is moving data in bits per second (bps).
6) If you want more information about the speed of the device connected to one end of the Ethernet cable, enter “ethtool” into the terminal application’s search bar. Press enter on your keyboard. The result should show more information about the device’s connection to the Ethernet cable, including its maximum speed.
One way to test your Ethernet cable speed is to use a bandwidth testing tool. A bandwidth testing tool is a software application on a computer. If you want to find out more about bandwidth testing tools, follow the link below.