Finding the print server name is an essential task, especially for network administrators and IT professionals responsible for managing multiple printers on a network. The print server name is the hostname or IP address of the server that manages the printing process, and it ensures that print jobs are sent to the correct printer. So, if you need to add a network printer to your computer, troubleshoot printing issues, or manage printer settings, you need to know the print server name.
Fortunately, finding the print server name is not a complex process, and there are several methods you can use. You can check the properties of the printer on your computer, use command prompt or Powershell, or access the print server through the administrative tools on your computer. By learning how to find the print server name, you can save time and effort and increase your productivity in printing-related tasks. In this article, we’ll go through these methods step-by-step to help you find the print server name on your network.
How to Find Print Server Name?
A Print Server is a computer or device that is connected to a printer and manages multiple printers in a network. It allows multiple users to print documents to a shared printer without having to physically connect to it.
To find a print server name, follow these steps:
1. Open the Control Panel on your computer.
2. Click on Devices and Printers or Printers and Scanners.
3. Right-click on the printer you want to find the print server name for.
4. Click on Printer Properties or Properties.
5. Click on the Ports tab.
6. Look for the port name that has the word “Print” in it.
7. The print server name is the first part of the port name before the colon.
8. Note down the print server name for future reference.
Alternatively, you can also find the print server name by checking the printer’s documentation or contacting the network administrator.
1. What is a print server name and why is it important?
Answer: A print server name is the unique identifier assigned to a print server on a network. It is important because it allows users to locate and connect to the printer through the server.
2. How can I find the print server name on my computer?
Answer: Go to “Devices and Printers” in your computer’s control panel, then right-click on the printer in question and select “Printer Properties”. The print server name will be displayed under the “Port” tab.
3. Is it possible to find the print server name using command prompt?
Answer: Yes, open command prompt and type “netstat -ano | findstr 515”. The print server name will be displayed in the far right column under “Foreign Address”.
4. Can I find the print server name from the printer’s control panel?
Answer: Depending on the printer model, you may be able to find the print server name by going to the printer’s control panel and navigating to “Network Settings” or “Configuration”. Check your printer’s manual for specific instructions.
5. What should I do if I can’t find the print server name using any of these methods?
Answer: If you are unable to locate the print server name using the methods listed above, you may need to check your network settings or contact your network administrator for assistance.
In conclusion, by following the aforementioned steps, you can easily find the print server name. It is essential to know the print server name to ensure that you can properly manage your printers and troubleshoot any issues that may arise. So, the next time you need to find the print server name, simply follow these steps and you will be on your way to success.